[x265] Question, is this project VS-centric?

JMK three4teen16 at coldmail.nu
Mon Aug 26 18:03:12 CEST 2013

Hi there again,

I have to ask this, principally because of the memory leak issue in the MSYS builds that was discovered six days ago, and that should have been noticed by Tom Vaughan from MultiCoreWare four days ago. Am I right to suppose the x265 development team writes mainly for MSVC and test only the MSVC builds? I don't find a better explanation for the fact that various patches and improvements have been approved/released, but their flaws appear only in their respective MSYS builds.

Another thing: please add to the Wiki and/or to the next "Evaluators Guide PDF" precise instructions for the users of MSVC about how to create XP-compatible binaries. If so many MSVC builds keep returning the message "x265.exe is not a valid Win32 application" under Windows XP, obviously the problem hasn't been addressed yet. Oh yes, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP anytime soon, but so what? Not everybody believes in Microsoft's "infinite wisdom".

Thanks for the attention.