[x265] Question, is this project VS-centric?

Steve Borho steve at borho.org
Mon Aug 26 18:25:56 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM, JMK <three4teen16 at coldmail.nu> wrote:

> Hi there again,
>
> I have to ask this, principally because of the memory leak issue in the
> MSYS builds that was discovered six days ago, and that should have been
> noticed by Tom Vaughan from MultiCoreWare four days ago. Am I right to
> suppose the x265 development team writes mainly for MSVC and test only the
> MSVC builds? I don't find a better explanation for the fact that various
> patches and improvements have been approved/released, but their flaws
> appear only in their respective MSYS builds.

This is pure nonsense, the memory leaks occurred in the MSVC builds as
well.  For various reasons the daily leak regressions weren't being run.

> Another thing: please add to the Wiki and/or to the next "Evaluators Guide
> PDF" precise instructions for the users of MSVC about how to create
> XP-compatible binaries. If so many MSVC builds keep returning the message
> "x265.exe is not a valid Win32 application" under Windows XP, obviously the
> problem hasn't been addressed yet. Oh yes, Microsoft will stop supporting
> Windows XP anytime soon, but so what? Not everybody believes in Microsoft's
> "infinite wisdom".

There was a cmake ordering issue affecting the XP workaround that was fixed
4 days ago.  But otherwise no, XP is not a priority for us right now.

--
Steve Borho