[x265] x265: Questions and comments from an outsider

Derek Buitenhuis derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 13:22:11 CEST 2013

On 9/12/2013 12:03 PM, Derek Buitenhuis wrote:
> I am sure I am missing some things, so any community members should add any I forgot.

Indeed I forgot one.

Build System
------------

People hate cmake. A lot. This is pretty much the biggest complaint I hear
from people who poke x265. Cross compiling is a crapshoot. To get even
base features like 'make install' or 'make uninstall' or proper library
handling, you need to write mountains of custom stuff.

I understand the main point is for MSVC support, so my proposal is to do
what LLVM does and have both an autotools system, and a cmake system.
For all the perceived hate autotools gets, autoconf, automake, and libtool
are by far the Least Bad build system in terms of handling everything
properly (library generation, versioning, cross-comiling, etc.). If I
or some other developer were to write this (it wont be a lot of code),
could I count on it actually being updated at the same time as the cmake
system?

Thoughts?

- Derek