[x265] x265: Questions and comments from an outsider

Derek Buitenhuis derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 11:21:19 CEST 2013

> cmake does have support for install rules, I just haven't made any yet (we didn't have a real deployable static library until yesterday).

Don't forget uninstall! ;)

> Today our CMake scripts support cc+make, 3 msvc releases, msys, icl+nmake, and Xcode.

I wanted to ask about soething related to this:

What's with the build/* directories? These seem rather silly
to me, when proper builds should be done out-of-tree, i.e.:

$ hg clone <...>
$ mkdir x265_build
$ cd x265_build
$ cmake -G "something" ../x265
$ make

> Clearly cmake has more breadth and there is overlap between the two, but I also understand that the vast bulk of open source is autoconf based and so if adding autoconf is a precondition for integration into other transcode tools then I'll definitely take a patch which introduces autoconf support and maintain it to the best of my abilities.

I think it's a question or portability and usability. There's e.g.
no analogue for 'configure --help' in cmake. Also large concern
with cmake, for me anyway, is that it's a very very big pain to
make it handle cross-compiling correctly... I've formed this
opinion after having worked on the Yocto Project / Poky Linux /
OpenEmbedded projects as my day job previously.

Maybe this has changed?

> It will be a constant source of friction, having two build systems, but other projects manage to deal with it.

I will wait to see how cmake turns out before submitting a patch
for autotools.

- Derek