[x265] Collaboration with topic branches

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 19 20:55:37 CEST 2013

> Some of that is for aesthetics, named branches live forever.

I find it easier to follow parallel software developments with topic branches.
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/NamedBranches

Would you like to close any branch in the future?
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/PruningDeadBranches

> Keeping track of what patches are destined to which branch would be a lot of pain,
> not to mention the extra effort demanded of reviewers.

It depends on a try eventually to become used to alternative work flows.

> So instead I would like to allow development forks to have unlimited push access
> to their own repositories, but when they wish to merge their development with
> our default branch they submit patches from their fork to our ML for review.

How do you think about the reuse of higher level tools?
Are you interested in continuous integration techniques?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration#Advantages_and_disadvantages

Regards,
Markus