[x265] Severe quantizer difference between {...faster} and {fast...} presets

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Tue Feb 11 08:39:01 CET 2014

https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/issue/26

There is a 4..5 dB SSIM drop (filesizes 1:4..1:5) between presets
{'faster' and faster} and {'fast' and slower}, even if CUTree is disabled.

I verified this gap with several builds I was able to compile with GCC
4.8.2, last version was v0.7+103-ce7191f49948 Win64.

I don't believe your desire is the confusion of the user to be unable to
at least marginally rely on a CRF value, even across different presets. So
I guess there will be a mistake causing this severe quality difference
between the two preset groups. But due to the lack of a current
Evaluators' Guide for v0.7+, I an mot able to guess with any certainty
which preset-based option default may cause that.

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
mailto:contact at ligh.de