[x265] Default GOP range: 25-250 frames or 1-10 seconds?

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Fri Feb 14 08:55:03 CET 2014

Am 13.02.2014, 21:11 Uhr, schrieb Steve Borho <steve at borho.org>:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Derek Buitenhuis
> <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm missing some detail.  Our default keyint min and max currently
> match x264's (24/250), as far as I know, and scenecut detectionactually
> places I frames, independent of pts (also AFAIK).

I don't mean you have to change anything. I only wanted to ask if the
current solution is a probably most reasonable one.

If the pure number of frames per GOP is much more important than the
display time (and I would probably agree now, thinking about it again),
leave it as it is, then I just had sprites in my head. ;-)

 From times of Xvid, I remember a thumb rule of 10 seconds per GOP. That
was never a demand; and furthermore, I would agree that the compromise
between coding efficiency (longer GOP = better) and limiting any stream
error propagation (shorter GOP = better) is rather bound to the number of
frames than to the time the GOP is displayed.

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
mailto:contact at ligh.de