[x265] Brief speed test with x265 in all presets and different versions

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Tue Jul 22 13:17:07 CEST 2014

Dear x265 developers.

I'd like to share with you a result of a brief speed test, comparing x265
in different versions (early 1.1, late 1.1, and current 1.2) in all
presets with the small "foreman" clip. Its meaning is certainly limited,
so I don't feel like sharing it in a public forum (may cause too much
FUD), and I don't want to interpret it too much, except for one general
result: There are changes which increased the speed during the development
of v1.1, but with only an AMD Phenom-II X4, it is not yet very obvious.
And the "promised" increase for AMD with the HADDD macro didn't happen to
me, rather the opposite. Results will probably be different for FX+ CPUs.

CLI: -o foreman_cif_placebo.hevc --preset %preset% --aq-mode 2
--aq-strength 1.5 --psy-rd 0.5 foreman_cif.y4m

And no, I will not insist in slowing down preset medium, just for the sake
of the curve's beauty. ;-)

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer