[x265] Next steps on my road map

Xinyue Lu maillist at 7086.in
Thu Apr 9 04:44:36 CEST 2015

Hi,

Here are some patches that are applied in my personal mod, and I'd like to know which of them do you have interests so
that I can clean up and submit to official repo.

1. Logging to file with --log-file <file.log> --log-file-level <LEVEL>.

2. LAVF Input, can take common media files as input directly, e.g. MKV or MP4 files.
Potentially add --demuxer <demuxer> option to manually pick a demuxer.
Potentially replace --y4m, remove bForceY4m.

The original authors of this patch is Mike Gurlitz <mike.gurlitz at gmail.com> and Steven Walters <kemuri9 at gmail.com>.

LAVF Library is LGPL/GPL/nonfree.

3. Matroska Muxer

The original author is Mike Matsnev <mike at haali.su>.

4. L-Smash MP4 Muxer

The original authors are:
Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr>
Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu>
Yusuke Nakamura <muken.the.vfrmaniac at gmail.com>
Takashi Hirata <silverfilain at gmail.com>
golgol7777 <golgol7777 at gmail.com>

And liblsmash is GPL.

- - -

Apart from your interests, the license problem is also what I'm concerning about.

x265 can be licensed under commercial license. Can we still port the patch / function from x264? Do you have an
agreement that you can use x264 code base / patches without licensing problem?

When linking against lsmash (or maybe libav) should I place an option like ENABLE_GPL inside CMakeList?

Should these demuxers / muxers be enabled by default during compiling?

Thanks