[x265] How does x265 handle the memory allocation?

fangzhen wintelx264 at 163.com
Tue Aug 4 10:57:56 CEST 2015

Hi all,
I am a video encoder developer. And X265 is a fantastic implementation of HEVC. I am studying it right now.  During this process, I find a very interesting situation.
I use some large resolution sequences to test x265, such as 2560x1600. If the memory is sufficient, x265 will get about 1GB memory. Howerver, if more programs are running and the left memory is less than 1GB, x265 will still run normally and use the left memory. Here is the question, in my opinion, if the memory is not enough, some program will crash, so how x265 do that? How x265 handle the memory allocation adaptively?

Thanks