[x265] Why does cuTree function calculate the averageDuration by while loop

Steve Borho steve at borho.org
Fri Aug 14 05:25:56 CEST 2015

On 08/14, Ximing Cheng wrote:
> Hi, the source code in lookahead cuTree function has to calculate the
> averageDuration by a while loop each time, why not use double
> averageDuration = (double)m_param->fpsDenom / m_param->fpsNum; in the
> initial function of lookahead? Thanks!

The cu-tree code was adapted from x264's mb-tree and x264 supports
variable frame rates. x265 doesn't support VFR yet and so you're right
we could save some cycles there.

At some point in the future we might add VFR support to x265 so you have
to weigh possible future work (adding it back) against the compute
savings.

--
Steve Borho