[x265] NAL payload, issue?

Philipp Kroos philipp.kroos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:59:44 CET 2015

Hi,

I was recently beginning to implement a h.265 streamer using the x265 code
and the live555-RTP-library. I noticed that there might be an
incompatibilty between the approaches taken by x265 and by live555.
However, they explicitly mention the likeliness of this issue in their code
and state that they are adhering to the definition of the h264/5 standard:
The NAL-units I'm receiving from the encoder are prefixed with the
MPEG-start code 0x00 0x00 0x00/1 (0x01). This results in an error in the
RTP-server which does not allow this startcode in the payload. I don't know
that much (if anything) about the definition, but at least the declaration
of the header here
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-payload-rtp-h265-07#page-16 seems to
support live555's standpoint.
I have no problems to read and write recognizable files with x265, but to
pass the output to the RTP protocol, the only solution I found was to
manually skip the first relevant bytes of the NAL units (which seems to
work fine anyways).

Is there a better solution for this?
Hopefully someone can clarify this for me.

Thank you, Philipp