[x265] Fwd: Encoding question

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Tue Jan 20 08:04:01 CET 2015

Tom,

I guess you can imagine similar "Let's Play" videos of FPS with a
partially translucent HUD. They will also have some (semi-) static
elements near the border of the frame, but uncovered moving content in the
middle.

Sebastian,

the x264 encoder recently merged an experimental AQ mode 3 with bias
towards dark areas to the release branch; x265 did not yet adapt AQ mode 2
with completely satisfying results, but when its development continues, an
adaption of mode 3 may also be interesting. Not yet a solution for your
issue, but maybe "soon™" ;-)

Encoding of partially covered motion is a pretty tough issue. MPEG-7 tries
to model layers of shapes, but that's the next generation... For current
encoders, "more bitrate" may be one of the best recommendations.

Disclaimer: IMHO. There will probably be more experienced people than me...

Am 20.01.2015, 02:03 Uhr, schrieb Tom Vaughan
<tom.vaughan at multicorewareinc.com>:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> We don’t currently support the ability to adjust the quantization in
> specific areas of the picture.  If you share samples of what you’re
> seeing
> it would help us understand the challenge better.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Tom

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer