[x265] --analysis-mode error

Gopu Govindaswamy gopu at multicorewareinc.com
Fri Jun 12 13:34:30 CEST 2015

Hello Joshua,

   Thanks for reporting this blocking artifacts issue, we have identified
the issue, there is a bug while sharing the best merge candidates and we
have fixed this issue and sent the patch for it

Thanks
Gopu G

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Joshua Bowman <silverbacknet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just made my first encode with --analysis-mode load and while it ran 3
> times as fast, the
> encoded file was completely broken. This is with 10-bit input and output,
> current git head.
>
> Original command line: x265 --preset veryslow --input pristest.y4m
> --analysis-mode save
> --analysis-file pristest.dat --crf 20 -o pristest-q20-veryslow.hevc
> Second command line: x265 --preset veryslow --input pristest.y4m
> --analysis-mode load
> --analysis-file pristest.dat --crf 24 -o pristest-q24-veryslow.hevc
>
> pristest.y4m:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54412753/x265/pristest_30s.7z (first
> 30s of
> the original 120s)
> pristest.dat:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54412753/x265/pristest.7z
> pristest-q24-veryslow.hevc:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54412753/x265/pristest-q24-veryslow.hevc
>
> All I changed was the crf, and I got tons of black blocks and echo blocks,
> especially beginning
> around 0:20, as if residuals sometimes weren't being applied at all. MPDN
> just freezes, other
> players play with major artifacts.
>
> Aside from that, holy crap is the analysis file huge. It's as large as the
> y4m; I had to put it
> on a ntfs compressed folder, where it went from 11gb to 800mb real bytes.
> (The 7-zip is only
> 50mb.) Surely x265 can run some sort of compression over it while writing,
> either low xz (lzma2)
> or at least lzo/lz4? When I first attempted to use it from the same drive
> as my working file, I
> ended up thrashing the disk so badly that encoding speed was actually
> halved, until I moved it
> to my SSD system drive.

Thanks & Regards
Gopu G