[x265] limit-refs at higher RD?

Deepthi Nandakumar deepthi at multicorewareinc.com
Mon Jun 22 07:10:16 CEST 2015

Hello,

Please see below.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Joshua Bowman <silverbacknet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Are there any plans to implement --limit-refs for RD levels above 4? This
> option is a better
> quality/speed trade-off than lowering the RD level or lowering refs, so
> I'm hoping that it'll do
> the same at more intense levels. I'd like to keep more references around
> more for keeping scene
> changes in the buffer than to actively use them all the time.

Yes, indeed. This has been under development for some time. Some patches
were emailed on these,
however they caused a noticeable drop in visual quality, and hence needed
to be reworked.

> On that note, do you foresee ever implementing custom control of the RPS
> to keep long-term
> references? (Such as keeping the last ref before the last few scene
> changes around, it case the
> video cuts back to one.) Or is that outside of x265's scope?

It's not outside x265's scope, especially with explicit support of long
term RPS in the HEVC specification.
We'd be happy to accept patches on this....