[x265] Adaptove GoP sizes - not sure if its working

Xinyue Lu maillist at 7086.in
Thu Oct 8 17:15:02 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Steve Borho <steve at borho.org> wrote:
> On 10/07, Xinyue Lu wrote:
>
> this blanket statement is incorrect. If the scene cut happens a large
> distance from the max keyframe interval it is better to encode it as a P
> to save bits. When you specify --keyint-max 250, the encoder will try to
> only use one I frame per 250 frames, this is its goal.

Yes, understand that, you are right.

I haven't had a chance to test the latest version, maybe will do it in
this weekend. In previous tests, it produced fixed length gop from the
beginning to the end, all the way through half hour video clips, so
that was certainly a bug.

I'll also test with different rc-lookahead settings to see the impact
of these patches.

Thanks.