[x265] Dynamic rate control

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Tue Oct 13 08:12:32 CEST 2015

Am 12.10.2015, 18:07 Uhr, schrieb Ralf Globisch <rglobisch at csir.co.za>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use x265 in a adaptive streaming scenario i.e. adapting to
> network conditions.
>
> Calling x265_encoder_reconfig to change the bitrate does not work.Is
> there a way of doing this without closing and re-opening the codec?
>
> I've tried the following:
>
> x265_param* params;
> x265_encoder* encoder;
> params->rc.bitrate = uiNewTargetBitrate;
> int res = x265_encoder_reconfig(encoder, params);
>
> While the call does not fail, it doesn't seem to affect the rate.
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf

So you are using a client-to-server feedback control, trying to control
the video bitrate based on the download speed, in a realtime encode
scenario?

The usual approach I knew so far was providing several video streams with
different setups and switching between them (like in MPEG DASH, as used by
YouTube for HD video features).

I don't know the interna, but I could imagine that reconfiguring the
bitrate control will have a quite slow effect, probably only from the next
GOP on, when it comes to effect at all. I wonder if you may have to force
a kind of encoder reset after reconfiguring... Just a thought.

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
mailto:contact at ligh.de