[x265] Under VBV rc mode , increasing the vbv-maxrate or vbv-bufsize has no or very little effect on the final result

Aarthi Priya Thirumalai aarthi at multicorewareinc.com
Tue Oct 20 08:40:50 CEST 2015

Adding to Mario's points, changing the vbv-maxrate and vbv-bufsize , while
keeping the target bitrate the same - will have a heavier impact on the
moving average bitrate rather than the overall bitrate.
Increasing the vbv buffer, while keeping the rest constant roughly means
the buffer can handle a larger fluctuation in the per second bitrate.
Similary, decreasing the vbv buffer size will drive the encoder to a stick
to a constant bitrate for every second. At this point the vbv restrictions
will kick in to decrease the bitrate hikes in between,
and the quality for that portion of scene might go down.

So, I suggest you plot the distribution of bitrates for each of your test
case to see the impact .

Regards
Aarthi