[x265] P-frames referencing B-frames, Generalised B-frames in HEVC

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Mon Oct 26 09:34:33 CET 2015

The question was about P slices.

I would be surprised if P slices were allowed to have B slices as
reference, which are below in hierarchy. From what I know (which may be
partially limited to AVC), usually only more dependent types can reference
less dependent types, to avoid error accumulation (quality reduction and
even possible data errors with decoding artefacts in slices used as a
reference will remain in all dependent slices):

I(ntra) slices are independent, have no references (prediction generation
0).

P(redicted) slices can have I slices as reference (prediction generation
1), possibly also previous P slices (not sure about this).

B(idirectionally predicted) slices can have I and P slices as reference
(prediction generation 2), and in a pyramid hierarchy even B slices which
have no other B slices as possible reference.

The more dependent a slice is, the more loss of quality may accumulate
with each further prediction generation, therefore it should only be
visible for a short time and less likely be used as reference for even
more dependent slices and even more accumulation of quality loss. Because
P slices could potentially be a reference of many dependent slices, it
wouldn't make sense to allow them to have references in B slices which are
already predicted in second or even third generation, compared to an
original I(DR) slice of the current GOP.

Disclaimer: I may not yet know about exceptions in HEVC. The statement
above is based on knowledge from MPEG-1/2 to AVC.