[x265] x265-devel Digest, Vol 29, Issue 69

Roshantha Mendis hrm506 at york.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 17:58:43 CET 2015

Thank you for your informative replies.

Is there logic in x265 to somehow calculate the best candidate reference
frame from the DPB ? some sort of calculation perhaps ? Like Joshua said
does x265 enforce a 'strict hierarchical encoding' ? Blu-ray encoding for
example I think enforces that no P-frames refer to B-frames.

Because I have never seen a P-frame referencing a B-frame in any of the
videos I've encoded. Maybe some sort of parameter might trigger this I
guess. Of course I am only using a max of 2 ref frames in encoder settings.
Maybe a higher ref frame count might trigger this..

Rosh Mendis
Research Student - EngD in LSCITS
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York