[x265] Tiles support for x265

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Mon Sep 12 08:53:31 CEST 2016

Shortest possible reply... :-P

I *guess* the recently introduced implementation of several slices is
already a step towards this even narrower approach.

IIRC, slices already existed in previous video standards (like MPEG 1/2
Video) but were mainly meant to span across the whole width, or at least a
horizontal sequence of consecutove macroblocks in encoding order. Tiles
are specifically designed to split the frame into a grid of rectangular
parts, like a "video wall" is made of a grid of monitors.

Did I imagine correctly so far? ... It might be suitable to explain this
concept a bit in a kind of "outlook" post in a video forum, maybe even in
comparison with WPP (dis- vs. advantages).

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
mailto:contact at ligh.de