[x265] Tiles support for x265

Steve Borho steve at borho.org
Tue Sep 20 21:21:10 CEST 2016

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 1:48 AM, Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer <contact at ligh.de> wrote:
>

> Jamaica posted a picture describing the different modes pretty well:
>
> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1780469#post1780469
>
> I am especially glad to have an imagination of WPP now. And even if Main profile does not support tiles in conjunction with WPP, higher profiles may. But so far for a long-term outlook…

You will probably appreciate this animation then, if you’ve never seen it:

https://www.parabolaresearch.com/blog/2013-12-01-hevc-wavefront-animation.html

Tiles and WPP are generally mutually exclusive, and WPP will generally provide better parallelism at less compression cost, which is why tiles hadn’t been implemented.

—
Steve Borho