[x265] Slice decision

Rainer engel at endime.de
Sat Feb 25 19:05:32 CET 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this list and very interested in the "Slice decision options"
of x265. The tests done so far show an expected behaviour of..

--open-gop
which is enabled by default.

--keyint
Setting this to a very high value, one which is higher than the duration
of the longest shot, works fine.

I run into problems by setting up the parameters to find all slices from
my reference (ground truth containing any flavour of slice one can
imagine:). Increasing "--scenecut" beyond the default of 40 brought no
significant gain of more detected slices. Also increasing
"--scenecut-bias" (as I understood correctly) wasn't of that big impact
in the tests I've done so far.

Are there some dependencies between parameters which are not that
obvious here, at least to me? I also tried other parameters with no big
impact.
I hoped to get a feeling how the parameters work in concert, but the
"aggressive" placement of slices by changing "--scenecut" values could
not be reproduced here. Am I doing anything wrong?

AIM:
- individual slice detection by threshold, not interval
- detect more false positives, than less

CSV:
- the csv log is used for comparing/counting the slices

Any help, hint and reply on this is much appreciated.
I use a MSVC build for Win-x64 found here http://x265.ru/en/builds/ on a
YUV input clip.

Best regards,
Rainer