[x265] About Generalized P and B picture support

Ximing Cheng chengximing1989 at foxmail.com
Wed Mar 1 13:21:01 CET 2017

As we know HEVC support Generalized P and B picture (GPB picture), which in random access mode, the P-Frame can be replaced by special B-Frame. This will get a better coding efficiency.

In lookahead of x265, slicetype decision will get a P-Frame when the encoded frames have reached the max bframes size. So the GOP structure only will be "IBBBPBBBBP", thus x265 do not support Generalized P and B picture.

I want to know whether x265 plan to support Generalized P and B picture.

Thanks!