[x265] Question about NUMA and core/thread use

Michael Lackner michael.lackner at unileoben.ac.at
Thu May 4 10:58:30 CEST 2017

Hey,

I re-enabled NUMA and retried with --no-pmode --no-pme, and x265 once again says:

x265 [info]: Thread pool 0 using 30 threads on numa nodes 0,1

Still wondering why not 32, but ok.

It was looking bad at first, but I thought I'd wait a bit for ffmpeg to feed the pipe
enough (I'm piping to x265), and after 10-20 seconds it showed *very* good and stable CPU
utilization (minus those 2 threads occasionally)!

I'll change my encoding settings to not use pmode and pme then! Seems that's the way to
go, thank you very much for the advice!

I'll compare the runtimes and let you know how much enabling NUMA affected the outcome, as
I'm quite interested in that part myself..

Best,
Michael

--
Michael Lackner
Lehrstuhl für Informationstechnologie (CiT)
Tel.: +43 (0)3842/402-1505 | Mail: michael.lackner at unileoben.ac.at
Fax.: +43 (0)3842/402-1502 | Web: http://institute.unileoben.ac.at/infotech