[x265] Question about NUMA and core/thread use

Michael Lackner michael.lackner at unileoben.ac.at
Mon May 22 15:05:14 CEST 2017

On 05/22/2017 07:54 AM, Pradeep Ramachandran wrote:
> [...]
>> actually create
>> individual thread pools for each NUMA node automatically.
>>
>> So on my 2-socket, 32-thread server, I just did it manually with
>> '--pools="16,16"', and
>> now it spawns two pools with 16 threads each instead of one pool with 32
>> threads.
>>
>> Problem: The overall performance drops by ~15%, and when looking at the
>> behavior, one of
>> the two pools would often drop to 0-10% CPU usage for a few seconds, then
>> start loading
>> the CPU again, then drop again for several seconds, etc. It seems as if
>> the second pool
>> (and *only* the second pool, it doesn't happen for the first) needs to
>> wait for something.
>>
>> This doesn't happen when spawning just one pool with 32 threads (x265s'
>> default behavior).
>> Load is near-maximum all the time, encode is faster.
>>
>> Other parallelization options, identical for all cases: '--wpp --pmode
>> --pme --slices 4
>> --lookahead-slices 4 --ctu 16 --max-tu-size 16 --qg-size 16'.
>>
>> Content is 8K again. Yeah, it works with '--pmode --pme' now, somehow,
>> please don't ask me
>> why, I have no idea..
>>
>> When searching the web I found this discussion, but it's pretty old:
>>
>> http://x265-devel.videolan.narkive.com/sbQflm3D/x265-cpu-uti
>> lization-very-low-on-a-multi-numa-sockets-server
>>
>> They are talking about looking at 'DecideWait (ms)'. I've enabled frame
>> stats with '--csv
>> stats.txt --csv-log-level 2' to take look at potential issues.
>>
>> Ran:
>> cat stats.txt | awk -F',' '{ print $33 "," $34 "," $36 "," $38 }' | sed
>> 's/^\s//'
>>
>> This extracts all the "Wait" and "Stall Time" values, maybe this is
>> relevant? I've
>> attached the resulting files, one for a run with 2x16 NUMA thread pools
>> and one for a run
>> with just 1x32 thread pool spanning all CPUs across both nodes for a total
>> of 117 frames.
>>

>> So actually using NUMA hurts performance? Should I not create thread pools
>> for individual
>> NUMA nodes after all? Or should I specify certain options to make this
>> perform better than
>> the flat topology/round-robin way of scheduling threads?
>>

> The 15% performance drop in linux when a single pool across sockets, as
> opposed to a pool dedicated to each socket is created, is known. This is
> why the default behavior of x265 in linux is to launch a single pool across
> all sockets. If you want to use the --pools cli option to change this
> behavior, you will see different performance. To launch 32 threads in one
> pool across all sockets, you can say --pools 32 and it should work; this
> will also be the default behavior on a 2-socket machine. If you give
> --pools 16,16, you will get two pools, one per socket.

Exactly, and I was thinking "splitting it up into two pools with each pool accessing only
its local memory should be faster". Guess that isn't true for x265 on Linux for some reason.

> Unfortunately, on windows, there is no way to launch threads such that they
> work across both sockets. Therefore, the default behavior on windows is to> launch a pool per socket. But I don't think this concerns your use case.

So that's a limit of the NUMA implementation by Microsoft I guess? Interesting, didn't
know about that. But the Windows version does not experience the same performance drop
when creating multiple thread pools? So that performance issue is Linux-only?

>> 2.) Also, one more thing that's scaring me, the documentation for
>> '--pools' says:
>>
>> "[...] In the case that the total number of threads is more than the
>> maximum size that
>> ATOMIC operations can handle (32 for 32-bit compiles, and 64 for 64-bit
>> compiles),
>> multiple thread pools may be spawned subject to the performance constraint
>> described
>> above. [...]"
>>
>> What does "may be spawned" mean? Like "the user may do this by specifying
>> --pools" or
>> "x265 may or may not do this for the user automatically"?!
>>

> There is a limitation that each pool can only handle up to 64 threads. (Bit
> vector used to track the threads can only be 64-bit at max in a 64-bit
> compile, and 32-bit at max in a 32-bit compile.). We therefore have some
> heuristics to decide when to break into multiple pools even in linux based
> on the total thread count of the machine and how far that number is from 64.

Ah, so you need NUMA support for spawning more than 32 or 64 threads in total? Mh, I guess
even quad socket systems didn't have 64+ HW threads before the arrival of NUMA architectures..

But then that means I cannot (fully) support other UNIX or BeOS systems which have more
than 64 CPUs but which have no libnuma? So on those, it's a maximum of 64 threads then?

In any case, I guess I'll just leave '--pools' alone and let x265 decide what it should do
automatically on both Windows and Linux/UNIX, making an exception only for Haiku OS,
because CPU count detection fails on that platform, messing up the threading when left alone.