[x265] Trying to migrate MSYS MinGW32 toolchain to MSYS2 MinGW32/64 of MABS

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Wed Oct 25 16:06:13 CEST 2017

Greetings developers and contributors...

Because my usual provider of MSYS environments (XhmikosR) doesn't update
regularly, and the original MSYS (Win32) project as such may be a bit
obsolete already, I thought of moving to

	https://github.com/jb-alvarado/media-autobuild_suite/

as a regularly self-updating MSYS2 x86-64 environment (using pacman) which
provides both MinGW32 and MinGW64 launchers.

Of course, media-autobuild suite (MABS) builds its own Win32 and Win64
binaries of x265. Still, I would like to manually build them on demand
with my own options, and also keep the libx265 DLL's generated in parallel
to the EXE's (which MABS does not save back).

So I tested a bit, tried to understand make and cmake errors, tuned my
shell scripts building the HDR10+ versions ... but I hit my threshold when
it came to editing the toolchain file for cross compilation
(build/msys/toolchain-x86_64-w64-mingw32.cmake as template).

In the MSYS2 MinGW32 environment of MABS, the Win64 c.c. versions are not
named "x86_64-w64-mingw32-*" but "i686-w64-mingw32-*" ... well, I guess I
could have learned sed to patch this while copying the file to my own
structure.

But furthermore, a Win64 c.c. version of windres seems to be completely
missing (only the native windres.exe in msys64/mingw32/bin), and ranlib is
gcc-ranlib (i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-ranlib.exe); and before copying files
 from one end to the other, I gave up here, using the workaround to start
MinGW32 and MinGW64 separately now, for compiling a Win32 build and a
Win64 build of x265 natively instead, without c.c. toolchain files.

If anyone cares, I wonder if toolchain files for an MSYS2 environment with
MinGW32 or MinGW64, based on MABS, could be provided from the x265 project
one day ... just an idea, no demand. But one or the other of you will
probably be much more experienced than me, finding an elegant solution.

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
mailto:contact at ligh.de