[x265] x265_encoder_reconfig and HDR metadata

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 13:08:10 CET 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:13 AM, Pradeep Ramachandran <
pradeep at multicorewareinc.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Vittorio Giovara <
> vittorio.giovara at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:30 PM, Vittorio Giovara <
>> vittorio.giovara at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> is it possible to call x265_encoder_reconfig() after the encoder has
>>> been opened?
>>>
>>> I tried doing so, setting masteringDisplayColorVolume and then
>>> reconfiguring, but it does seem to be applied.
>>>

>> sorry, typo, this sentence should have been "I tried doing so, setting
>> masteringDisplayColorVolume and then reconfiguring, but they do *not* seem
>> to be applied"
>>

> As the documentation defines, not all parameters can be reconfigured.
> masteringDisplayColorVolume is one that cannot be yet. It should be a
> simple patch to support this though. Patches welcome :-)

When I looked at it, it wasn't so simple, since masteringDisplayColorVolume
requires careful handling as noted here
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavcodec/hevcdec.c#L2675-L2680
If you have documentation about x265 internals and its timings I'll try and
take another stab at it.
--
Vittorio