[x265] Found issues with hist-scenecut + a feature request

Sam boulder08 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 11:33:59 UTC 2023

Hi,
I've now tested the new hist-scenecut feature enough to raise these two
issues (one opened in the Bitbucket issue list but no replies). I don't
know if you follow the Doom9 x265 thread, these have been mentioned there
as well.

1) --hist-scenecut fails with black and white PQ sources. Please see
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1978737#post1978737 for the test
result and a sample clip.

2) --hist-scenecut works for non-PQ sources only if you encode using the
Main profile (i.e. 8-bit encodes). If you use Main10, the scene changes for
the exact same source are not detected properly. In my tests, I piped a
16-bit raw y4m stream into the encoder.

I also have a feature request regarding the new SBRC functionality: please
report the AQ mode per frame in the csv log. It would be very useful for
testing and tuning the encodes.

Sami