[Android] PreferencesActivity: clean up the cleanup

Edward Wang edward.c.wang at compdigitec.com
Wed Mar 13 17:02:58 CET 2013

On 13-03-13 11:51 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> On 13 Mar, Edward Wang wrote :
>>> +    <string name="enable_time_stretching_audio_summary">Speed up and
>>> slow down audio without changing the pitch (requires a fast
>>>      device).</string>
>>> This is wrong, people have no idea what pitch is.
>> I would disagree here; I think people generally know that pitch is
>> high and low tones from listening to music.
> I disagree. Ask around yourself.
Indeed, and most people agree with me that they know what pitch is.

>>> +    <string name="subtitles_text_encoding">Subtitle text
>>> encoding</string>
>>> There are more than one subtitle.
>> The correct English form is "Subtitle text encoding". Subtitle is
>> the adjective describing what kind of text. So "subtitle text" is an
>> adjective phrase describing what kind of encoding.
> No, it is Subtitles "text encoding".
?

This doesn't even make sense. All I see is a knee-jerk reaction of "no
no no".

>>> Moving android:entries="@array/chroma_formats" is wrong too. There is a
>>> good reason to put it at the top of the perf category...
>> And the reason would be...
> Because this it the thing that will work almost everywhere, and improve
> the most perf. iOMX is working randomly and Audioscaling is the one
> costing MORE cpu.
Fine with me. It would have helped if you mentioned this in the original
commit message. I did not see any such explanation here:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc-ports/android.git;a=commitdiff;h=2ac774df78c35d5909d04137b60e9deb2f6e8574

>>> Removing android:summary="@string/screen_orientation_summary" needs also
>>> a good reason.
>>>
>> I think that it is pretty obvious to the user what "screen
>> orientation" means.
> It is not, notably because this affects only VIDEO FULLSCREEN, not audio
> or video list. So this is not obvious.
> Moreover, have you tried a screen reader on Android?

Then why not just modify the original string? It's pretty clear to the
user that "screen orientation" is something that affects video playback.
I don't, for instance, move around my screen when playing audio.

Regards,
         Edward Wang