[Android] [TROLL] Audio GUI: should we keep the stop button?

Adrien Maglo magsoft at videolan.org
Fri Jan 17 13:14:54 CET 2014

On 17/01/2014 12:46, Edward Wang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2014-01-17 04:55, Adrien Maglo <magsoft at videolan.org> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I raise this question on the mailing list because I think that not
>> everybody agrees on this point.
>> Personally, I would be in favour of removing the stop button of the
>> audio player. Malte's design does not have it. This would simplify the
>> interface and allow to recover some needed space. Google Play Music
>> does not have it as well.
>>
>> Please share your opinion.
>
> I disagree here. There is an important conceptual distinction between
> pause and stop - pause retains the media file in the memory.

That is why I started this thread. I remembered that you were in favour
of keeping it.

> To the user, I think the pause should represent "I'm taking a temporary
> break and will listen shortly again", whereas stop should represent
> "Drop this file and remove the reference to it as I'm not interested in
> playing music for now".

Is it really important to keep a reference to a paused file? If the user
is not any more interested in the current media after hitting pause, he
will just forget about the content of the player and browse his library,
like one does in Google Play Music.
For a local file, the user does not care about its status in memory. I
think the functionality he wants is just to cut the playback.
However, as j-b pointed out, a stop button for a remote stream may
indeed be necessary.

An other point is that the stop button currently empties the play list.
The users may feel annoyed by this if they press it by mistake.

Best regards,

--
MagSoft