[libbluray-devel] BD Specifications

Luca Wehrstedt lerks at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 4 18:23:54 CET 2011

Hi,

I want to help with this project.

Since I'm not so good at writing low level C code, I started writing some
documentation. More precisely, I started writing some specifications of the
BD format.
I do not own the official books (nor am I gonna buy them) so everything I
wrote has been extracted or guessed from patents applications, white papers
and open source software (like libbluray and HDcookbook). I think these
specifications will be of great help for anybody who, in the future, will
want to dive into the code of libbluray or even start another BD-based
project (like some authoring software).

You can have a look at what I've done so far at
https://github.com/lerks/BluRay/wiki.

There are some parts of the BD format and playback process that I still
don't understand, so I'm going to ask about them here, hoping it's allowed
(tell me if it isn't) and hoping I'll get an answer.

First of all, I have some questions about the CPI part in the Clip
Information File.
What's the use of these information about the clip?
What does CPI stand for?
What's the EPMap? (and what does EP stand for?)
What does SPN stand for? (I guess something like Stream Packet Number)

I have other questions about the playback process in general, but I'll wait
with them until I have answers to these.

Thanks for any feedback,

Luca Wehrstedt