[libbluray-devel] Feedback on BD-J support in VLC

Roald Strauss mr_lou at dewfall.dk
Fri May 13 14:10:24 CEST 2016

On 13-05-2016 10:03, Petri Hintukainen wrote:
> On ti, 2016-05-10 at 16:42 +0200, Roald Strauss wrote:
>> Mouse support seems to be missing?
> Yes. It would be possible to add. But I have no idea how usable it
> would be ...
>
> Translating mouse button press to key event should be just one line of
> code. But I think it would be confusing if focus does not follow mouse.
>
> Setting focus to follow mouse should be quite easy when the disc uses
> UI components, but discs that simply draw the menus would be next to
> impossible to support. Maybe we could hide mouse cursor and translate
> mouse movements to Up/Down/Left/Right key events ?

I don't think you should do any translating mouse button to key events.
Xlet developers should implement their own mouse-capture methods using
java.awt.event.MouseListener and java.awt.event.MouseMotionListener.
I imagine VLC just has to capture mouse movement and clicks and forward
to the Xlet.

>> Net support seems to be missing?
> Yes and no. Security manager permits some networking operations. I've
> seen Xlets downloading content from network. Also, networking is not
> limited to signed Xlets (it should be, but signature checking is not
> implemented - and it requires AACS). What kind of problems you have
> seen ?
>
> Does networking work in HW player (I think it requires signed Xlet) ?
> Or do you have a HW player where network permissions can be granted
> unconditionally ?

Yes, networking works fine in the 3 hardware players I have online (a
Sony BDP-S1100, a Samsung something and a Dune HD Smart D1) and also
PowerDVD software player.

In my Xlets I'm doing a simple HTTP request to check for version of my
disc. I can see that this isn't going through in VLC.

I was under the impression that AACS is related to video only and has
nothing to do with signing.

It is true that networking requires the Xlet to be signed, according to
the specs. This is a bit silly though, because signing an Xlet is no
trouble at all and doesn't require any special expensive certificate (as
is the case with signing MIDlets).
But yes, my Xlets are signed. :-)

Since anyone can sign an Xlet without much trouble, I'm not sure it's
worth the effort making sure VLC doesn't allow networking if the Xlet
isn't signed - unless of course it's the aim that VLC becomes a
trustworthy tool for Xlet developers for testing their Xlets.

- Roald