[libbluray-devel] Feedback on BD-J support in VLC

Petri Hintukainen phintuka at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 13 10:03:39 CEST 2016

On ti, 2016-05-10 at 16:42 +0200, Roald Strauss wrote:
> Hello
>

> Sparetime BD-J developer here, tested two homebrew Xlets in VLC 3.0
> 2016-05-09.
> (Both Xlets runs fine on all hardware players we've tested on).
>
> It's awesome to see both Xlets running in VLC now. I'm looking very
> much
> forward to having full BD-J support in VLC.
>

> Here's my feedback for VLC devs:
>
> Calling stop() on a Player object doesn't seem to work. Video
> continues
> to play.

Thanks for reporting this. Should be fixed in git.

> On my keyboard, the Enter button (sometimes called Return) usually
> used
> to go to next line, is used as the Enter button on the remote
> control.
> But it also toggles fullscreen in VLC it seems. So when selecting
> something on the blu-ray by pressing Enter, VLC also jumps out of
> fullscreen.

Maybe VLC configuration issue ?

> Mouse support seems to be missing?

Yes. It would be possible to add. But I have no idea how usable it
would be ...

Translating mouse button press to key event should be just one line of
code. But I think it would be confusing if focus does not follow mouse.

Setting focus to follow mouse should be quite easy when the disc uses
UI components, but discs that simply draw the menus would be next to
impossible to support. Maybe we could hide mouse cursor and translate
mouse movements to Up/Down/Left/Right key events ?

> Net support seems to be missing?

Yes and no. Security manager permits some networking operations. I've
seen Xlets downloading content from network. Also, networking is not
limited to signed Xlets (it should be, but signature checking is not
implemented - and it requires AACS). What kind of problems you have
seen ?

Does networking work in HW player (I think it requires signed Xlet) ?
Or do you have a HW player where network permissions can be granted
unconditionally ?