[libdvdnav-devel] [SCM] libdvdnav/master: Merge tag 'upstream/4.9.0__gita5c13254'

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu Feb 13 17:27:09 CET 2014

Dear Bálint,

The new repository is a fork, and while I invited all the original
developers to use a proper versionning system and join me, none of them
seemed interested in that part. Adding developer keys to this repository
is quite simple, and we do that all the time.

The time taken to move to git, and to rewrite the history to have proper
authoring was a long investment, so, there is no way I throw that away,
notably because the original way goes against everything we believe in.

Moreover, libdvdnav is the most crashing library ever, and is full of
security issues. In VLC for Windows, it crashes twice more than
libavcodec, which is ridiculous, since libdvdnav is probably used in 10%
of the VLC cases.

Finally, the development is too slow on libdvdnav.

Because of the above reasons, VLC will mandate the new library. I'm
sorry, there is no other way I can make it.

The API should stay compatible as much as possible, since most of the
fixes should happen under the hood.

With my best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf