[libdvdnav-devel] [DVDnav-discuss] [SCM] libdvdnav/master: Merge tag 'upstream/4.9.0__gita5c13254'

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Feb 17 17:31:17 CET 2014

Hello,

On Thursday, 13 February 2014 at 17:27, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Dear Bálint,
>
> The new repository is a fork, and while I invited all the original
> developers to use a proper versionning system and join me, none of
> them seemed interested in that part. Adding developer keys to this
> repository is quite simple, and we do that all the time.

To clarify a bit. I'm interested, but I don't have much time, so this
only confirms that what JB did is a step in the right direction, as
obviously he does have time. I've sent my key to JB just now.

> The time taken to move to git, and to rewrite the history to have
> proper authoring was a long investment, so, there is no way I throw
> that away, notably because the original way goes against everything
> we believe in.

Your work is most appreciated and I wouldn't even think about asking
you to throw it away.

> Moreover, libdvdnav is the most crashing library ever, and is full
> of security issues. In VLC for Windows, it crashes twice more than
> libavcodec, which is ridiculous, since libdvdnav is probably used in
> 10% of the VLC cases.
>
> Finally, the development is too slow on libdvdnav.

This is sad, but true. I sorely miss the days when Nico was active.

> Because of the above reasons, VLC will mandate the new library. I'm
> sorry, there is no other way I can make it.
>
> The API should stay compatible as much as possible, since most of
> the fixes should happen under the hood.

I'll point the current homepage at the new repository in the coming
days.

Regards,
"Faith manages."