[libdvdnav-devel] DVD-Video Info

Steve Dibb beandog at gentoo.org
Thu Oct 2 06:40:19 CEST 2014

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 17:35:13 +1300
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 22:17:57 -0600, Steve Dibb wrote:
>
> > We so need to compare notes.  I've recently started my own set of
> > programs [1] to get info off a DVD and scan them for issues, helped
> > resurrect development of lsdvd [2], and have my own wiki [3] for a
> > braindump of all the DVD stuff I've encountered over the years.
>
> Thanks, those are handy links. Maybe worth cross-linking between your
> wiki and my wikibook. :)

Agreed, I'll do the same.

> > I'm also curious to see how development on dvdauthor is going.
>
> My motivation for working on it is driven by how useful it is to
> people. Is there still a lot of demand for creating DVD-Video discs?
> Also I get requests to merge patches for things like “DVD-h264” which
> I’d never heard of before. Are these, ahem, hacks of the DVD-Video
> spec becoming popular?

DVD players are ubiquitous and even though Blu-ray can hold multiple
times the same amount of space, DVD optical discs are cheap, and
sometimes burning stuff is simpler or more cost-effective than
uploading it somewhere.  Plus, there's a strong chance that something
that meets the DVD spec is going to play anywhere, whereas something
throw together with someone's video editor could have playback issues.
So, DVDs are great because they've been around a long time, and support
is native in lots of places.

Never heard of anything related to DVD-h264.

Steve