[libdvdnav-devel] Native DVD navigation menus & the DVD_NAV_PACKET event

Jason Gullickson jason.gullickson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 15:03:30 CEST 2014

First off thank-you to everyone who has contributed to this project,
amazing work!

Second, I'm building a DVD player and things are going pretty well, but I'm
having a little trouble understanding how to get the native DVD menu
screens to work.

I'm able to play the disc, display the video and parse the buttons and
coordinates that come from a DVD_NAV_PACKET event, but I'm not sure how to
pass the video/images for the menu along to my decoder.  Here's my current
pipeline:

libdvdnav-based C program -> filesystem FIFO -> ffmpeg -> ffserver -> WEBM

This works pretty well, when I open the DVD in the C program I dump the
blocks to the FIFO and the menu screen starts to load up correctly, but
when it gets to the point where I'd expect the buttons to appear on the
video, that doesn't happen.  I receive the DVD_NAV_PACKET event and I'm
able to composite the control inputs in the correct positions, etc., but if
I then select a button that leads to another menu (say "Scene Selection")
the C program responds with the corresponding DVD_NAV_PACKET event for the
next menu, but the video stream never changes.

However, if I select a button that leads to playing some video back, that
works fine.

My guess is that I need to be grabbing some video or something from
somewhere else on the disc and feeding that to the encoder when the
DVD_NAV_PACKET event occurs (or one of the other events leading up to
that), but I'm pretty green on this stuff so I'm wondering if one of you
can point me in the right direction, or to some example code, or the right
manual :)

Thanks!

--

Jason J. Gullickson