[mpris] Playlist extension

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 19:23:09 CEST 2010

----- Original message -----
> Hi folks,
>
> Way back Alex proposed an extension to the spec to handle Playlists.
> There didn't seem like there was too much interest at the time,
> apologies for my silence I had a Maverick release to attend to.
> So how about now, I think there are some clients which are interested.
> The extension can be found here.
>
> http://www.randomguy3.me.uk/mpris/Playlists.html
>
> Conor
>
> --
> Sound Architect
> Desktop Experience Team
> Product Strategy
> Canonical

The Url type is defined and not used (I think).

Which is fine with me. It appears the API does not assume a playlist is a static list of songs to play, but could potentially be a dynamic playlist or an online service?

Perhaps the type of the playlist should be revealed? I could imagine a applet using an icon to indicate it.

I do see some assumption of static-ness in the ordering enum. Last modified wouldn't mean the same thing or even typically be recorded for a dynamic playlist.

Regardless the spec needs some more "conceptual" defintion of what sort of playlist should be returned and the intended use-case to ensure some uniformity between players. The reason this api wasn't included with the rest is that its use-case and concepts aren't as self-evident as the other MPRIS apis.

Ian