[Translators] Translation errors for subtitle files

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed May 12 23:39:18 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 12 mai 2010 23:58:13 Cristian Secară, vous avez écrit :
> > If in doubt, please ask and we will try to clarify what the correct
> > translation is for your specific language.
>
> For my language (Romanian, which is non-slavic) the Windows codepage is
> 1250.
>
> But I don't understand one thing: the default subtitles codepage should
> be in accordance with the system locales, not from the choosed UI
> language.

VLC versions 0.8.4 and older worked that way, and it was totally terrible. The
match rate was close to zero. Most modern systems use Unicode, either UTF-8 or
UTF-16 internally, and the character encoding is independent of the system
locale, so it can't be used as a reference. UTF-8 and UTF-16 files are
autodetect anyway, so there is no point in coding them as the fallback default
character set.

Most subtitle files are in language-dependent legacy 8-bits character sets. We
need a way to guess that. Currently, I don't know any parameter that VLC knows
and would be better correlated with subtitle character encoding than the
selected language.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/