[Translators] Translation errors for subtitle files

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Thu May 13 00:23:32 CEST 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010 00:39:18 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Most subtitle files are in language-dependent legacy 8-bits character
> sets. We need a way to guess that. Currently, I don't know any
> parameter that VLC knows and would be better correlated with subtitle
> character encoding than the selected language.

Because VLC is supposed to be platform independent, then yes, this may
be a proper approach.

When coming to Windows (you asked about a Windows codepage), then the
system has a configurable "language for non-Unicode programs" setting,
which (AFAIK) once set it becomes common for all user accounts.
On 2000/XP this must be set explicitly, else the text will show alien
high-bit characters for a given language (for example in Notepad, but
also subtitles in BSplayer, etc.); on Vista or newer this setting is set
automatically in concordance with the locale selection at system
install (but can be changed on purpose).

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
http://www.secarica.ro/