[Translators] VLC for Android - how to keep strings.xml in sync?

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Mon Aug 27 09:17:55 CEST 2012

Hello!

On 26.08.2012 20:42, mihkel wrote:
> My question is how is /res/values-*/strings.xml kept in sync with
> /res/values/strings.xml?  Should I do it manually (I really don't want
> to do that :) ) for my language or is there some script for that? Or
> will some developer merge untranslated strings back to strings.xml
> before release and I don't have to worry about it myself?

Some basic syncing is done by transifex. But obsolete translations may
(/will) get lost and not stored as fuzzy. What you get:
The catalogue will be updated, so new strings appear and old ones are
removed. Besides losing (correct but) outdated translations, there is no
way to mark untranslatable messages.

There might be some converting tools to generate po from strings.xml,
but I did not search for it myself.

While I think, processing your translation (like removing outdated
messages) is possible, you would still have to find new (and hence
untranslated) messages yourself.

If someone has a good alternative, feel free to share it.

Regards

Christoph