[Translators] VLC on Transifex

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Fri May 4 01:05:17 CEST 2012

Hello!

>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Oleksandr Natalenko<pfactum at gmail.com
>> <mailto:pfactum at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>>
>>      It would be better to set up Pootle or something exclusively for VLC to
>>      not to spread over different Transifex projects and local po editing
>>      with git merging.

I don't see your point.

I agree that it's not really easy for translators getting started with
the translation, keeping the pot-file up to date and similar. But I
doubt that something exclusively for vlc would be any better than a
simple link to (for example) a transifex project.

The benefit in using it (IMHO) is less technical hassle for translators
and the possibility to attract new (co-)translators if wanted.

AFAIK it is impossible to replace the git merging by transifex or pootle
(did not really check pootle so far). Hence, you can't stop using it.
The transifex project should be seen as an additional service. Use it if
you like, keep your actual workflow if you don't.

For example the headers (former translators) are causing troubles: They
are often removed by transifex.

Regards

Christoph