[Translators] Resolve the issues and Conflicts

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Aug 18 20:09:46 CEST 2013

Thanks for looking into this situation calmly.

However:
1. You should _really_ make shorter mails with your points more clear.
   Not everyone is a native speaker and some of us receive a _lot_ of
   emails. This is not the first time.

2. You should, in general, translate to the minimum "VLC media player",
   "VLC for iOS", "VLC for Android", because they are trademarks.

3. Places like "About dialogs" are very sensitive, for the point 2.

4. translators can and will be properly credited, in about dialogs,
   THANKS and AUTHORS files.

Best.

On 19 Aug, Mr. Phan Anh wrote :
> Name:Anh Phan
>
> Email: ppanhh at gmail.com
>
> Position: Vietnamese Translation
>
> Content: Resolve the issues and Conflicts
>
> ====
>
>    1. Just about over last 24 hours, there was an email that was sent to
>    the mailing list of VLC Translation about the Vietnamese Translation in
>    which the conflicts appeared.
>    2. First of all, I was the translator who wrote that email, so I will
>    have to also be the person who report the solution and the result of these
>    conflicts.
>    3. The point for this conflicts is the misunderstood situation between
>    me and the maintainer of iOS for VLC. He worried about the real case of
>    random advertisement  that would be put into the GUI of VLC platform. The
>    solution from him was delaying the translation until all the conflicts have
>    been resolved.
>
> By this action, he meant to informed and show his aware of abusing the
> meaning of VLC to broadcast or make a propaganda of someone in the platform
> ( in this case is my situation in translating “about” entry into the name
> of the ongoing forum that host translation for Vietnamese).
>
> This action shown his sympathy and compassion to all the translator and the
> trending of VLC translation project. But, we have misunderstood the
> situation in interpreting way, and this caused the conflict, resulted as my
> previous email.
>

> By far, the thing that he worried has actually happened with some
> translator. The most easy recoginition is the translation of Facebook at
> the first time in about 2008. At that time, some of the translators put the
> adverstisement on the content of Facebook. Because Facebook has set up the
> translation project for the volunteers all over the world for local
> translation of their services.
>

>    1. So:
>

>    1. The misunderstood situation has been resolved
>    2. By this mistake, I hope that the other translator would take care of
>    their own translation to avoid the same mistake in near future.
>    3. The information which is provided by the maintainer should be clear
>    and informative to the translator.
>    4. When the conflicts appears ( as I resume), we would put the conflict
>    entries in the condition of “same as the source” by a simple function on
>    Transifex or just simply put that conflict entry at the status of original
>    string.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf