[Translators] current translation status for vlc 3.0

M T michtrz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 18:04:32 CET 2017

Hello translators,

the translations wasn't really maintained for a very long time until now
and although the decision was made
to leave Transifex and get weblate (https://translate.videolan.org) I
reactivated Tx for the 3.0 translation now.

The URL is still the same:
https://www.transifex.com/yaron/vlc-trans/

But for now these are plans for the future (weblate) and in the meantime
the new vlc 3.0 is getting ready (RC) and need fresh translations.
Some months ago I created my own project on Tx to start the 3.0 translation
but since I got access to Yaron-project,
I cleaned up some old translations and unused languages there and revoke Tx
for the 3.0 process because it's the fastest
way to get translation and most of the longtime translators are there.

The 3.0 translation use the same pot source file from the git. Nearly all
reported typos (from Tx-reports and the videolan forum)
were fixed. Some big and not so urged fixes (especially this "period in
LONGTEXT variable") were put as an issue-comment there.

An important rule for the translation workflow on Tx:
Please keep the report issue function here clean for bugs and do NOT write
suggestions or your own thoughts about the sense of the string here!
No developer will be ever reading this on Tx. Such things had to be discuss
first. Use the forum.videolan.org to publish your ideas.
I already put some important notes for the translators so every entry on
Tx, that is NOT a typo or bug, will be deleted!

-- what to translate:

VLC 2.2.x
Actually it's too late to starting with translations/corrections for 2.2.x
now, we had some time in the past months for it.
VLC 2.2.8 will be probably the last version from the 2.2 series. But we
need this translation for 3.0, so it will be needed
and you can, of course use that translations with the latest vlc 2.2.8

VLC 3.0
This is at the moment the most important translation, so focus on this
translation at next.
After a completed translation please check and update the header
information or ask the maintainer for it.

VLSub:
This is not very active in developing at the moment but I forked my own
VLSub version and updated some of the translations from here.
You can test you translation with this version:
https://github.com/mtrz/vlsub/archive/master.zip

You can also put the "locale" folder with the xml langs to the working
directory of VLSub and delete the config file (vlsub_conf.xml) from there.

WinRT:
This version is receiving translations and some of them were already
included, so it's not usless to do translations for this version here.
I will send complete ones from here. The store info can be included after
the main translation of the app is finished and MUST be
supported by the webpage. The next version should be released soon.

Google Play Info:
This has the lowest priority. Google started to active the auto-translator
on the play page as default in Chrome and that give us very terrible
translations. So this will be collected and send if we have some more
translations complete.
Translate it after the other translations or when you have some time left
for it.

For now:
Until the switching to Weblate, I'll collect additional translations on
Transifex to keep them together for switching to weblate someday.
You can also do your translation not on Transifex but keep in mind that
there are already many long time vlc translators and you have to ask
them first if a help is needed. We had some insight about that in the past.
If there's already a team leader on Tx, we just let the leader choose
whether to approve the people on the team because there are many
unqualified translators out there that will cause a lot of headache fixing
after some bad or incompatible words.
And some translators can be very stubborn, instead of just complying with
the current way they usually insist on going their own way and there are
translation differences for the same term. We have to make sure, we are not
breaking things apart due to new translators with different agenda then the
current members. So, first ask around BEFORE you start your own translation!

Thank you for your attention.