[Translators] Possibility to have "realtime" updated .pot file for VLC development version (desktop)?

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 19:59:40 CET 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020, 20:44 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

>         Hi,
>
> Le torstaina 3. joulukuuta 2020, 21.46.19 EET Thomas De Rocker a écrit :
> >   *   can the vlc development .pot be updated more frequently (weekly,
> > monthly)? Could this be automated?
>
> The official POT is updated as rarely as possible because the changes are
> huge,
> and then every developers need to download all the updates. Anyone can of
> course generate an unofficial update on your own, manually or
> automatically.

The translators are not expected to download the entire tree and compile,
they should have the easiest way to translate without using git or any
other cvs, unless they want to develop which is not the same.

I know that GitLab has an automated CI/CD feature, I'm not sure it's
enabled in VLC's instance but we'll try to think of something.

> But be aware that there is no going back: once you have moved to 4.0, you
> can
> no longer merge any future change from 3.0 to 4.0 or vice versa.

That's not really a problem since we can use different resources like we're
doing now with 2.0 and 3.0.