[Translators] [videolan] Double the language

Michał michtrz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 02:30:02 UTC 2021

Shalom Yaron,

thanks again for the rights to the Tx-teams some weeks ago. Since than
I accepted nearly 1000 translator requests that were stuck in waiting
queue for several years now (and got many thanks). That's why we get
many new reviews right now and many complete translations. And also
get the same questions about cleaning/deleting of this and that.

I also push this to the mailing list, to inform other about the status
and to answer on the discussion from December.

The reason of still keeping 2.2 in Tx is that this resource has the
older version 1 of the po file, they updated the system to po version
2 several years ago and switching back is not possible anymore, only
the older created resources will stay on version 1. This has to do
with po header generating and the credits for the translators that are
also used for the git commits. Both generate different results
(pros+cons) and this was used for testing in maintaining this part in
the past. Tx has it's own way to handle this, I never figured it out,
but version 1 might be not needed anymore. It's a longer story and
maintaining the credits was always a pain in Tx. The best step would
be to start over with a new resource version, upload the updated and
cleaned po files from git and delete the old resources. The TM in Tx
should stay even if 2.2 will be deleted. A next major version will be
a good scenario for it.

I got the info that the UI of 4.0 is in redesign and there are many
strings that are not open for translation yet. A generated pot file
would probably not cover all of the strings. I generated the 4.0 pot
file in the past to report issues in the strings but when the most
string are note released yet that doesn't do much right now. And until
the git code is not moved to gitlab and when merge requests are
possible (po files are too big for patches) merging only 3.0 will be
enough for now. If that a 4.0 translation will be more desired, I can
put my occasionally generated pot file on Tx, maybe exchanged with 2.2
resource.

3.0 should be ok for now and thanks to Hugo the 3.0 commits are also
merged in time.

It's is also good to check the other resources, delete or not:
- WinRT has probably stop the development and further translations are
not needed, also the store file
- android Play store: was never updated and probably won't, IMO I
would delete every store translations
- VLSub: should be rewritten and is obsolete
- vlmc: what is the status here?
- ios: 5 files here, which do we need? delete fastlane?

For the language codes:
it was never set which format is used (xx / xx_XX). Unfortunately,
this is not regular but most vlc ports use the shorter format xx. Only
a second language of the same base code is extended to the longer
format. Therefore it doesn't matter at all which lang code we use in
Tx the result will be string replaced to the needed format, mostly XX.
In this case all vlc ports use the NE code and this was also requested
by the user and he is a coordinator now. It's the same with am_ET,
nb_NO, nm_MN and can be also check if one lang is enough, the shorter
format is preferred. But mostly no one can answer that correctly. The
only problem can a wrong string replacing of the lang code that don't
update a translation file but everything else should work. IMO we
should use the same lang codes like the formats in the code to avoid
issues. And that is mostly XX.
Currently we have a bug in Indonesian with wrong lang code:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13291578/how-to-localize-an-android-app-in-indonesian-language

Hebrew had also a different code in the past but should be HE now
(right?), but ID not, will be changed to IN.

vlc website is also waiting for merge.

And weblate is opensource, yes but moving over 3000 translators and
over 100 languages will cost time. And setting tis up and maintaining
even more. Without help this will be not possible soon and at the
other hand Tx is doing it's job currently quite well, and we will soon
have merged all translation to the code. I don't think, we can change
this at next.

Thanks to all for reading and have a nice weekend,
Michał