[Translators] [videolan] Double the language

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 21:19:47 UTC 2021

Yaron Shahrabani

<DevOps - Hebrew translator>

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 4:30 AM Michał <michtrz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shalom Yaron,

Siema Michał,

> thanks again for the rights to the Tx-teams some weeks ago. Since than
> I accepted nearly 1000 translator requests that were stuck in waiting
> queue for several years now (and got many thanks). That's why we get
> many new reviews right now and many complete translations. And also
> get the same questions about cleaning/deleting of this and that.

It's wonderful, I thought you had permissions long ago, if I knew you
didn't have these I would grant you.

> I also push this to the mailing list, to inform other about the status
> and to answer on the discussion from December.

Great, very important.

> The reason of still keeping 2.2 in Tx is that this resource has the
> older version 1 of the po file, they updated the system to po version
> 2 several years ago and switching back is not possible anymore, only
> the older created resources will stay on version 1. This has to do
> with po header generating and the credits for the translators that are
> also used for the git commits. Both generate different results
> (pros+cons) and this was used for testing in maintaining this part in
> the past. Tx has it's own way to handle this, I never figured it out,
> but version 1 might be not needed anymore. It's a longer story and
> maintaining the credits was always a pain in Tx. The best step would
> be to start over with a new resource version, upload the updated and
> cleaned po files from git and delete the old resources. The TM in Tx
> should stay even if 2.2 will be deleted. A next major version will be
> a good scenario for it.

Tx removes ownership in a very bizarre way, I was accused of removing
credits when all I did was using Tx.
I think it's probably safe to disable this resource but to keep it around
for exploring, what do you think?

> I got the info that the UI of 4.0 is in redesign and there are many
> strings that are not open for translation yet. A generated pot file
> would probably not cover all of the strings. I generated the 4.0 pot
> file in the past to report issues in the strings but when the most
> string are note released yet that doesn't do much right now. And until
> the git code is not moved to gitlab and when merge requests are
> possible (po files are too big for patches) merging only 3.0 will be
> enough for now. If that a 4.0 translation will be more desired, I can
> put my occasionally generated pot file on Tx, maybe exchanged with 2.2
> resource.

Feel free to add the 4.0 strings with a warning that this is still
experimental and there might be a lot of changes ahead, I trust the
translators to make the best choices in this regard.

> 3.0 should be ok for now and thanks to Hugo the 3.0 commits are also
> merged in time.

Thanks Hugo!

> It's is also good to check the other resources, delete or not:
> - WinRT has probably stop the development and further translations are
> not needed, also the store file

Disable?

> - android Play store: was never updated and probably won't, IMO I
> would delete every store translations

Why? What about F-Droid?

> - VLSub: should be rewritten and is obsolete

It's too small to consider in the first place, disable?

> - vlmc: what is the status here?

Who knows? You want to try and post a question in its official repo?

> - ios: 5 files here, which do we need? delete fastlane?

Only the VLC devs can help here, what do think Felix?

> For the language codes:
> it was never set which format is used (xx / xx_XX). Unfortunately,
> this is not regular but most vlc ports use the shorter format xx. Only
> a second language of the same base code is extended to the longer
> format. Therefore it doesn't matter at all which lang code we use in
> Tx the result will be string replaced to the needed format, mostly XX.
> In this case all vlc ports use the NE code and this was also requested
> by the user and he is a coordinator now. It's the same with am_ET,
> nb_NO, nm_MN and can be also check if one lang is enough, the shorter
> format is preferred. But mostly no one can answer that correctly. The
> only problem can a wrong string replacing of the lang code that don't
> update a translation file but everything else should work. IMO we
> should use the same lang codes like the formats in the code to avoid
> issues. And that is mostly XX.

What about the variants of Portuguese, how do we handle that?

> Currently we have a bug in Indonesian with wrong lang code:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13291578/how-to-localize-an-android-app-in-indonesian-language
>
> Hebrew had also a different code in the past but should be HE now
> (right?), but ID not, will be changed to IN.

Yeah, back in 1989, I'm not sure why was IW considered in the first place,
Ivrit is how we call it in Hebrew (it begins with an I) and W is the ending
in English, I can't find the connection, yet Google still consider that
code in some cases and we have to check the translation to make sure they
work in Android and we don't need to use the other code, very frustrating.

> vlc website is also waiting for merge.

Can we open a bug on GitLab?

> And weblate is opensource, yes but moving over 3000 translators and
> over 100 languages will cost time. And setting tis up and maintaining
> even more. Without help this will be not possible soon and at the
> other hand Tx is doing it's job currently quite well, and we will soon
> have merged all translation to the code. I don't think, we can change
> this at next.

Sadly although this list is relatively maintained in terms of contacting
the translators we can't guarantee such a change will be smooth enough, we
definitely don't have the resources for that, although if VideoLAN are
considering a standalone Weblate instance I would support moving to this
platform.

> Thanks to all for reading and have a nice weekend,
> Michał

 Miłego weekendu!
Yaron