Mac OS X

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sat Aug 4 18:35:48 CEST 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 06:23:51AM +0100, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> On Saturday 04 August 2001 4:28 am, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> >
> > Is there a possibility to find out what the performace bottleneck is
> > exactly? Could be dvd-decoding (none of the modules like idct are optimized
> > for g3), or yuv->rgb conversion, or writing the output into video memory.
> >

> You can enable profiling (with gprof) when you compile vlc. It's working on
> Linux, and I guess it should work on MacosX as well. (./configure
> --enable-profiling)
i'll try that....

> You are talking about yuv->rgb conversion... Can't you use YUV overlay on
> MacosX? this way the conversion would be done in hardware.
It' certainly not easy to do it in hardware... I found some IOKit which
seems to encapsulate 2d-acceleration, but I don't know if its possible to
use them from a normal application, or if should only be accessed via the
CoreGraphics framework.

Documentation is _horrible_ on Mac OS X... But with some luck, i guess it
could work...

florian pflug