Audio output bitrate adjustment and repeated bug report

Michel LESPINASSE walken at zoy.org
Sat Jun 16 01:34:48 CEST 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 08:54:06PM +0200, Peter Surda wrote:
> I noticed that when playing certain DVD the sound is distorted. After I
> reencoded the track into divx (audio into 48 kHz mp3) and played that back
> with aviplay, I discovered that when I force output to 44.1, I get similar
> distortion. However if I don't force reencoding and let the output be 48, it
> sounds ok. So hence the question: can I somehow tell vlc that the audio
> decoder should output 48kHz sound and not 44.1 (what I think is the current
> state)?

linear interpolation between two consecutive samples, like vlc
currently does, does introduce audio artefacts. If you have a good
track to put that in evidence, I'd like to get it :)

The solution would be to use a sinc-shaped interpolation curve. See
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/resample.html for more details.

Regards,

--
Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE
Of course I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind.